Between 1801 and 1865, South Carolina College
owned a number of slaves and employed countless others. It is difficult to locate information about the majority of these people as
college records rarely listed names or identifying information about individual slaves. In most cases, we do not know who these slaves were, what
labor they performed, or where they lived. Although slaves made significant
contributions to the construction and maintenance of the college and to daily
life on campus, whites frequently regarded slaves as an invisible part of the
landscape. In providing the following list, we remember the slaves who did appear by
name in the college records. This list is by no means complete, but
it represents a preliminary effort to honor the slaves who built South Carolina College
and, by extension, the University
of South Carolina.
Professor Thomas Cooper purchased Sancho and his wife (not named in Cooper's records) in 1819. The couple worked on campus until Cooper resigned in 1834. Sancho and his wife gained their freedom after Cooper's death in 1839.