The college hired J.N. Scofield in 1848 to build Legare College as an addition to Pinckney. Two years later, Scofield claimed ownership of a 45-year old slave who may have worked on this project. Once construction was complete, the Clariosophic Society moved into and furnished their new hall on the top floor. Although Legare College and its counterpart Harper College were considered visually unremarkable, their construction and placement continued the practice of expanding the campus through paired buildings that faced each other. A one-and-a-half story frame locker, which may have been adapted from a slave quarter, stood behind this dormitory in 1884.